Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Not Quite Zero?

I was thinking about how some animal products do naturally contain small amounts of carbs. And I think that for some people, that small amount of carbs is beneficial.

For example, most organ meats have a small amount of carbs inherent in them. Liver, heart, kidney, testes (also called "fries"), marrow fat, and eggs, have small amounts of natural carbohydrates in them.

I think it is natural to seek out and enjoy these nutrient dense organs, and so it is fairly natural for us to have these small amounts of carbohydrates.

I would beware of eating too much of these, as liver for example has extremely high amounts of retinol and that can be dangerous in high doses.

But in moderate amounts, I believe these animal products are very nutrient dense and contain special compounds that are really necessary for whole body health. For example, heart is very high in coenzyme Q10.

So I try to make a point of eating a regular variety of the "odd bits" - liver, heart, sweetbreads, marrow, tongue, testes, kidney. When prepared well, they are really delicious and a nice alternative to muscle meats!

Grassfed beef sweetbreads with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts