Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Naturally Fatty Cuts to Try

I thought it might be a good idea to try and recap some different meat cuts that naturally have a good percentage of fats in them!

I have been keeping around 70% fat intake to 30% protein intake (with a little natural carbohydrate inherent in organ meats and eggs). This ratio seems to work very well for me.

I prefer cuts where I do not have to worry about adding extra fat. I just cook them on a tray in the toaster oven or in an empty crockpot (slow cooker) overnight.

For the last five months or so, I have been mostly eating lamb. I buy whole lamb shares from my local farmers, which is more economical than buying separate cuts. It comes to around $6.70 per pound. Besides the organ meats, most lamb cuts do not need any extra fat on the side, since they are fatty enough on their own. So that is great! I have them processed into shanks, roasts, chops, ribs, and the organs, with a small amount left of trimmings that are ground.

Beef cuts that work well for me are tongue and brisket (if you can find one that still has a lot of fat on it). Loin roasts sometimes have a good fat cap. Oxtail too can sometimes be delicious fatty. Short ribs are supposed to be fatty, but I have not had any luck with finding fatty ones. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can find a chuck roast that has a lot of fat on it too.

Eggs, especially the yolks, are an option, if you can tolerate them!

A little more expensive is sablefish, also called "black cod". I was able to special order it at Whole Foods. It is a bit expensive, but it is really good and is fatty enough on its own! It is nice for special occasions! Also, you may be able to find Atlantic mackerel (often available at Asian groceries), which can sometimes be fatty enough on its own. Again, I just cook the sablefish and mackerel fillets on a tray in the toaster oven.

If you need extra fat on the side, roasted bone marrow is very good, even after putting away in the fridge and eaten cold!

There are many fatty pork cuts, but I tend to avoid pork and poultry because I do not think they are as healthy as red meats such as lamb and beef. And of course, many people like to use dairy fats, such as butter or ghee, but dairy does not agree with me, not even from raw, A2 casein milk.

I am always on the lookout for inherently fatty meats and fish, and I will share as I find them!

Grassfed lamb shank with sea salt










Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts