Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto Locavore

While I was on my flight the other day, I re-read Lierre Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth." It is an interesting and thorough book and I recommend it. It is very densely packed with information, so I feel like you have to read it slowly to really get everything!

One thing that was brought up in the book was the importance of eating very locally, ideally raising it yourself! I agree. I try to purchase all of my meats from my local farmers. But finding fat has been the hardest part!

The local processors tend to trim off all of the fat, even when requested not to do that. So it is extremely hard to find fatty cuts. Local marrow bones are almost impossible to obtain either. I have been ordering lamb shares, which helps, since most lamb cuts are just about fatty enough on their own to be ketogenic.

However, lamb is not available all year. I am considering getting a chest freezer so I can stock up on lamb when it is available, to last me throughout the year!

Another idea is to try dairy again. I am really not very keen on that idea. Butter, ghee, and clotted cream have aggravated my keratosis pilaris (bumpy skin), and I think maybe aggravate my colitis a bit too. However, my homemade clotted cream from local grassfed, A2 casein cream, has been excellent for my triglycerides, ketone levels, and other parameters. It is also exceptionally rich in vitamin A. So I am considering it.

I am also considering the idea of raising my own lamb. I am looking at buying a small property. And I intend to take an artisan slaughter and butcher course specifically on lamb, hogget, and mutton. There seems to be a good course in England, which has more of a tradition of fatty cuts and mutton than we do here in the United States. I was able to chat with a friend who grew up raising sheep and ask some questions. I feel that I can do this!

In the meantime I have been reading many books on sheep raising, slaughter, and processing. I want to follow Temple Grandin's methods for humane slaughter!

Grassfed lamb chop with sea salt








Comments

  1. Besides "The Vegetarian Myth" are there any other books you've read on zero carb or related topics that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking! Some other related books that I have enjoyed are "The Ethical Meat Handbook", "The Gourmet Butcher's Guide to Meat", "Fats: A Global History", "Fat" (by Jennifer McLagan), "The Big Fat Surprise", "Cancer As A Metabolic Disease", and "Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts