Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Costs, More Travel Food Ideas

I have been brainstorming ways to keep costs down when following a zero carb keto diet!

Buying whole grassfed lamb shares has been pretty economical for me, coming to about $6.70 per pound, and I use around a pound per day. So that comes to about $200 per month for all of my groceries, besides salt. Not bad!

Another option is buying fatty grassfed beef cuts, such as tongue (which is usually only around $3/lb), or brisket ($6.50/lb). Oxtail can be fatty, and is around $4/lb. If you can find fatty short ribs, they are usually fairly cheap too. However, I cannot really find fatty ones here.

Eggs, if tolerated, are an economical option. They are only 62/36 fat/protein, but that could still maintain ketosis. The yolks by themselves are better, at 75/22 fat/protein. Local, pasture-raised chicken eggs are $3.50/dozen here. I tend to only use eggs when travelling. I feel that they just are not as satisfying as fatty meat, and I think they might raise my triglycerides. Also like other poultry, eggs do not have a good omega 6:3 ratio. However, when travelling, hard-boiled eggs might be easy to find.

I will mention a few non-zero carb items, just in case they might be helpful.

I have mentioned previously, that in a pinch, especially when travelling, I will use coconut cream as a side for lean cuts. Here is the brand that I found that has no added gums:
https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut/dp/B00113ZZ5U?th=1
As fats go, it is economical, at $3 per 7 oz box. That comes to $6.85/lb. However, it is not something I would use regularly as I think it affects my gut over time, plus it does not contain the essential vitamins, antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, and CLA that grassfed fat does. However, as it is solid, it packs easily.

In a real bind, I have used toasted walnuts. Walnuts and macadamia nuts, if toasted a bit in the toaster oven, seem OK in small doses for my digestion, are high in fat, and have a favorable omega 6:3 ratio. They are solid so easy to bring on an airplane or when travelling. Toasting them makes them more digestible for me. Of course, fatty meats are preferable, but if travelling or in a pinch, this might work if you can tolerate nuts at all. These can be expensive though, at $8 or more per pound. However, they are very high in fat and calorie dense, so a little goes a long way!

I have also made "white chocolate fat bombs" using food-grade cocoa butter such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mary-Tylor-Naturals-Non-Deodorized-Antioxidants/dp/B017UJ1E08/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1507982146&sr=1-9&keywords=food+grade+cocoa+butter
I melt the cocoa butter, and then pour it into silicone molds and sprinkle with some sea salt. These are OK in a pinch, but be warned, they can melt if it is warm out. And at $13/lb, it is not terribly economical. I also do not think this works well for my gut, personally.

Getting back to zero carb items, homemade liver pate' is a good fatty meal. I recommend chicken, pork, or lamb liver, as they are much milder than beef liver. I use beef fat or pork fat, some salt, and bake in a loaf pan in the toaster oven. Lamb or beef fat and lamb liver would be the healthier option over chicken or pork and their fats, since the lamb and beef have a better omega 6:3 profile. Leftover pate' can be eaten in slices, either cold or reheated in the toaster oven.

I have experimented with making terrines, which are kind of like pate' but with meat instead of liver. I have not had much luck with them. When I use tallow, the tallow just melts away from the meat when cooking. I also do not much like the waxy texture of tallow. Lard would work better, but again, it is high in omega 6 fats.

I have mentioned that I enjoy roasted beef marrow. It is rather expensive, but it is shelf stable to some degree. I have brought on air travel and it kept OK in my luggage for a few days. Finding 100% grassfed beef marrow bones can be very difficult.

I have made pemmican in the past. It is a lot of effort. First you have to slice, salt, and dehydrate your lean meat overnight in a dehydrator. You will need rendered tallow. Then you grind up the jerky slices (I have used a spice grinder), and then mix that with melted tallow and let cool in a pan. This can then be cut into serving size pieces. While it is shelf stable if you have fully dehydrated the meat, it is safest to store in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. This is good for emergencies, in my opinion, but again the waxy texture of tallow is not as palatable as freshly roasted fat. But this is an economical option, as it uses lean cuts which are easy to find, and tallow, which is fairly inexpensive. 100% grassfed would be best, since it will have the healthiest nutritional profile.

In other news, I am picking up my first mutton purchase today! I hope I enjoy it as much as lamb! It is also fairly affordable, at $3/lb for mutton ribs.

Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts