Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Lower Protein Not Working

So the past few days after reading "Keto for Cancer," I have been experimenting with a lower protein intake, around 1g per kg of lean body mass. To make up for those calories, I had to increase my fat intake.

However, it is just not working for me!

I tried using more marrow fat to increase my calories and fat intake, but I started to feel really wasted away. Like a ghost! It was not good!

Yesterday I tried using solid coconut cream instead, and felt much better. Then I realized something!

I had tried lowering my protein once before after watching a lecture by Dr Ron Rosedale on the benefits of lower protein. And it did not work for me that time either.

I think lowering protein only works in the context of having some carbs! For example, the solid coconut cream came to 18g carbs for the day. 

So either I could have the 18g carbs, or just increase my protein by roughly that same amount, from the lowered 40-50g I was trying so hard to reach, back up to around 70g that I was usually eating daily!

I prefer to just eat the protein. It is grassfed, locally raised, has more essential nutrients, and is not shipped here all the way from Sri Lanka like the coconut!

It goes back to my idea that zero carb keto is really not quite zero. I think there needs to be that small percentage of "buffer" carbs or protein, and just come from the natural carbs in protein, organ meats, or eggs. So that means my macros come to around 70% fat, 28-29% protein, 1-2% carbs.

It is good to feel like myself again! 

Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt






Comments

  1. Good to know. Yesterday I took my son to the doctor and I mentioned how my son is often fatigued, dizzy when standing, etc. And his doctor said it is from low blood pressure, and sure enough he was right. He said my son needed to increase in fluid intake and protein. This made me think of your blood pressure in your blog post and few days ago. Maybe that is why you feel weak when lowering protein. Your blood pressure drops too low. Just thought I would share that. Thank you for your post. I will go back to three meat meals also. I really did not like eating 40g of tallow by itself at one meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good thought. Hope he is feeling better. I definitely am feeling much more like myself again now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts