Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto Travel Lessons

I got back from my air travel and wanted to share what worked and what did not work for traveling while on zero carb keto!

I had made some beef heart jerky in my dehydrator. That worked great! I just wish I had brought more! I had done one heart, and it lasted me only a few days (mostly because I love it so much, I could not stop eating it).

Then for fats, I brought some beef marrow in a little tupperware container. That actually worked well. I was worried that it might get runny in warm weather and might not be shelf stable. But it was fine! The only thing was that I had to use a spoon to eat it. I should have brought napkins to clean off the spoon after each use. And it didn't last very long either.

I was going to try making clotted cream to bring as a side fat, but I did not make enough plus it was too runny (no liquids allowed through security for air travel).

Then as a backup fat, I had brought a box of coconut cream. That and my box of salt caused my bag to be set aside for special checking at the airport security. They even did a chemical test of the salt! However, I used both during my travels, so it was worth the trouble.

One other food item that I was able to get at the airport and at a local market was hard boiled eggs.

While I was at my destination, I was able to finally buy some picanha cut! I found a Brazilian and Portuguese market. Picanha is a top sirloin roast with a fat cap on it. I also decided to try some carne del sol, although I did not know what to do with it. We sliced the picanha into steaks and grilled them and the carne del sol. The carne del sol was good but extremely salty. Of course, it is meant more for stews, not to eat as-is. I was surprised that the picanha was rather flavorless. But that was probably because it was grain-fed, not grass-fed. I am used to a lot more flavor, especially in the fat!

Grassfed ground lamb with sea salt




Comments

  1. What A great idea to bring meatballs for travelling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts