Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Food Ideas

I am excited, my local farmer from whom I have been getting whole lamb shares, now has some 100% grassfed mutton available! I have never tried mutton. I have heard that it has a "gamey" taste, which to me is a good thing. I enjoy full-flavored foods! Mutton, like lamb, is a naturally fatty meat which needs no extra fat on the side. I will be picking up some mutton ribs and ground mutton on Saturday! The cost is very good as well. Locally raised, 100% grassfed, the mutton ribs are just $3/lb and the ground mutton is $7/lb.

I also have another whole lamb share ready in a few weeks, and that usually comes to around $6.70/lb. 

Other options for meats that need no extra fats on the side are beef tongue, which is also usually very inexpensive, around $3/lb. If you can tolerate eggs, egg yolks are another food high enough in fat on their own. Grassfed beef brisket, if it has some decent fat on it, will be fatty enough on its own as well. It is usually around $6.50/lb.

I found my local grassfed farmers through the map function on Eatwild.com. You can also sometimes find them at Realmilk.com too (even though it is geared towards dairy, many of the farmers also offer grassfed meats). You can also try farmers markets, if you have one in your area.

Some grocery stores carry some grassfed meats. If you cannot find grassfed at all in your area, you could buy conventional meat, but it will not have as good a nutritional profile and the animals do not get to follow their natural behaviors. You would want to get the fattier grades, which are prime and choice. 

Another option is wild caught fish, but there are possibilities of high mercury levels and toxins. And besides sablefish ("black cod"), or mackerel, all other fish will need to have extra fat on the side. 

This is not quite zero carb, but I seem to be able to handle small amounts of coconut cream (only the kind with no added gums). So if you can only find lean meats or fish, and cannot handle dairy at all like me, then coconut cream might work for you for extra fat. Here is one that I am able to find at some local health food stores: http://tinyurl.com/y9vy8ry2 I just eat it by tiny spoonfuls, about 30g on the side of a lean meat. It needs no refrigeration, which is nice. It is affordable, at just $3 per 7oz box. I usually transfer it from the plastic bag into a glass container to be able to spoon into it more easily. I find it a little more palatable and easier to eat than coconut oil by the spoonful. But coconut oil could work as well. However, please be aware coconut oil and cream do not contain the high nutritional profile that the fats from grassfed meats do, such as vitamins A, E, D, K, omega 3 fatty acids and CLA.

I will keep searching and share some other ideas as I come across them!

Grassfed brisket with sea salt









Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts