Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Protein Can Become Sugar

It is an interesting phenomenon, and important to remember when following zero carb keto. Protein intake can become sugar in the body!

It is a process called gluconeogenesis, meaning the body can make new glucose out of protein.

When following zero carb, we need to take in a little more protein than people eating actual glucose, because we need the extra protein for that conversion.

However, we have to be aware that too much protein intake will backfire, and turn into too much glucose in our body! Just as if we had actually eaten the glucose straight!

I just made this mistake myself! I had made some beef heart jerky with my dehydrator. I just cut thin slices of beef heart and salted them a little and put them in my food dehydrator overnight. Amazingly tasty!

However, I have no self control around it. That is another problem with protein as opposed to fat. Fat is satiating! It is much easier to stop eating when you are satiated! But with the jerky, except for the few pieces where I had left the natural fat on it, is very, very lean. So it is not satiating, and it is easy to eat too much of it.

That then leads to the protein intake for the day being too high as compared to the fat intake! Instead of a good 70% fat to 30% protein intake for the day, mine was as low as 55/45 one day! Terrible! And along with that, I noticed my menses was heavier than usual, and a little uncomfortable, while I never have those problems on my normal fat to protein intake.

So I have learned my lesson! I will not make any more jerky. It is just too much like candy!

I will stay the course with good fatty meat!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts