Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Bone Health Results

I do not have a family doctor, so I try to take responsibility for my own health. I do blood tests regularly, and check my weight, bodyfat, ketones, and blood sugar every few days.

I decided that another test I should take is a bone density test, since I have many of the risk factors for osteoporosis: Caucasian, female, perimenopausal, "underweight" (according to weight charts), small-framed, living in northern latitudes, with low intake of dietary calcium and vitamin D. 

I was not able to find a way to get a DEXA bone density X-ray without a doctor's order, however I was able to order an osteocalcin blood test without one. I got my results back in just two days! And I got a great score! So that's a relief!

If my score showed high turnover, that would mean that the bones are basically being resorbed for needed minerals. My strategy was going to be to try and increase my vitamin D levels by doing more narrowband UVB treatments.

However, since my score was very good, I will not need to take any special actions, so that's great! I will still continue to use my narrowband UVB lamp for increasing my vitamin D levels which tested low recently. I also do ballet exercises daily for strength.

It's nice to know that my bone health is good. People often try to say that women need to take calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and strontium supplements for bone health. But that may not be needed! I believe that the amount of minerals in good fatty red meats is highly assimilated by the body, instead of the kind found in plant matter. And vitamin D created through the skin is probably again the most highly assimilated by the body instead of highly processed supplements.

I'm really happy to know that I am on the right track! 

Grassfed veal chop with sea salt flakes


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts