Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

The Fat to Protein Ratio

I feel that there is a really delicate balance between too little and too much protein when practicing a zero carb keto diet.

Too little protein and too much fat left me feeling very weak and caused digestive issues.

But too much protein causes me muscle cramps and thirst!

Also, I just watched a very interesting interview regarding ferritin, which is a protein that organisms use to store iron. If we store too much iron, that can lead to inflammation and disease. Intake of too much iron (particularly iron in supplement form) can be one cause of high ferritin. But also too much red meat or beef liver, which is very high in iron.

So I am learning what protein intake is the right amount for me. I think for me that is just 30% of calories. Easier said that done though!

As I mention frequently, finding fatty cuts is very difficult! And while some people just add butter or ghee, that does not work well with my digestion. So fatty cuts or bone marrow are what I need. But hard to find! Lamb works well, but only available at certain times of the year. Beef tongue is also good. And certain briskets have enough fat. But that's it really!

In fact, it is getting to be so difficult, I really am trying to think of other options. I will keep doing research!

Grassfed veal ribeye with beef marrow and sea salt






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts