Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Bringing on the Fat

I am making an effort to bring my fat percentage back up again. I had been around 75/25% fat/protein intake, but then I ran out of lamb and tried veal instead. Veal is much leaner! So my fat intake decreased to just around 65% instead. I think it was not high enough!

One reason I think so is that when I retook a cholesterol test, my HDL had halved! From over 100 to just over 50! Also my triglycerides and vLDL went up.

I also seemed to be a little more depressed. I think it was just a little too much protein, which was turning to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

I really believe the human body prefers to run on mostly fat rather than glucose, in pretty much every way. I think it keeps us happier, leaner, more focused, more level-headed, and less inclined to disease.

So I ordered some marrow bones online to add to my veal as a side, until I can get more lamb. I can also try to get some more beef tongue and brisket, which are fairly fatty cuts.

I will keep exploring ways to increase my fats. My gut does not do well with other fats that many keto-ers use such as dairy, olive oil, or coconut oil. Tallow was not palatable, being very waxy. So that basically leaves just marrow bones and seeking out fatty cuts such as lamb and beef tongue.

Another way I can try to keep my fat proportion higher is to just lower my portions of the lean, as well!

Grassfed veal with sea salt








Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts