Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Taking RDAs with a Grain of Salt

There is a subgroup of people who are interested in healthy eating who concentrate on trying to reach 100% of the Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) for vitamins and minerals. However, I feel that the RDAs really do not apply when following a meat-based zero carb keto approach.

The authorities that set RDAs are making them in the context of a diet which includes foods that block absorption of vital nutrients. Foods like whole grains, vegetables, teas, etc., contain a variety of antinutrients such as lectins, tannins, and oxalates, which bind with nutrients and prevent their absorption in our bodies.

So when the authorities make their recommendations, they are also making the assumption that you have to make up for a lot of absorption prevented by antinutrients.

With meat-based zero carb keto, there is nothing preventing full absorption of nutrients, so you don't have to take in hardly as much. In fact, I can easily overdo my magnesium or calcium from drinking a few small glasses of mineral water, and suffer from intestinal cramping and headaches.

The RDA for vitamin A is assuming a large portion is coming from beta carotene which must be converted to retinol in the body. But in meat and fat based zero carb keto, we are getting straight retinol, and a little goes a long way! It is actually toxic to eat too much liver, since there is so much retinol in it!

Similarly with vitamin K. Most RDAs are assuming K1 intake (from plant matter), which must be converted in the body to K2. In fact, the measurement of vitamin K in the USDA database is only for K1. However, animal products contain easily assimilated K2.

So I really think that when looking at RDAs, zero carb keto followers need to take them with a grain of salt, so to speak. We really do not need as much as they are saying we need, and in fact it could be dangerous to take in those amounts! So I listen to my body rather than blindly follow RDAs. When I am free of aches, pains, cramping, headaches, and my gut is efficient and healthy, my skin is clear, and I keep good mental focus all day, my gums are pink and teeth are strong, then I know I have reached my own personal RDAs.

I do think it is important to include organ meats such as sweetbreads, liver, and heart from time to time for their trace minerals, and sea salt regularly for the same reason. I also recommend using 100% grassfed red meats, for their fats are higher in omega 3s and vital antioxidants such as vitamin A and E.

Note: I do not personally recommend pork or poultry, since they are much higher in omega 6 fats and I notice that they affect my triglyceride levels and digestion negatively.

Grassfed ground beef with sea salt





Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts