Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Non-Dairy Fat: The Preferred Fuel for Homo Sapiens?

It seems the more and more research that I do on health, the more I am seeing how much starch and sugar (and too much protein as well) links with disease.

I believe that sugars and starches (including the sugars produced by taking in too much protein) seem to weaken our bodies. It is probably due to insulin regulation, and the need for cell cleanup through autophagy.

When we have so much energy input from glucose, the body just runs hotter and hotter. There is no shut-down, and cells do not get broken down and recycled via autophagy. In fact, in the worst case, the cells keep proliferating, which we call "cancer".

I do not think homo sapiens evolved for much glucose intake, certainly not the levels that we have now.

I also wonder too about the quantity of calories, and how just by ingesting more calories than we need can cause the same effects. When you concentrate on eating non-dairy animal fat, it is hard to eat too many calories! At least for me, my body signals pretty strongly when I have had enough!

However, with carbs and protein, there is not that strong signal to stop eating. It becomes easy to overeat.

I think dairy fat is different than other animal fat, too, because there are addictive properties in it, such as the opioids in casein. I find that it is very easy to overeat with dairy fats, but not with straight animal fats.

It is all very interesting to me! I try to keep up with the latest research every day. And it really seems that non-dairy, grassfed animal fat is homo sapiens' preferred fuel. It keeps us at a constant blood glucose level all day, doesn't cause inflammation, and the omega 3 fats and antioxidants are great for our overall health.

Unfortunately, non-dairy, good 100% grassfed animal fat extremely precious and hard to find! Changes in breeding and processing have made the same cuts much, much lower in fat. For more information on how much fat content has changed in meat cuts, see the footnotes on my post Keto Cuts Revisited.

I do the best I can to find good fatty cuts, but it is so difficult. I keep thinking about taking some courses on humane slaughter and meatcutting and getting a certification. I have found some programs of study that would be good. Then I can raise my own animals and do the processing myself, to ensure good fatty cuts, as nature intended! Maybe I could even start a specialty butcher shop for that small niche of people like me who are seeking out naturally fatty grassfed cuts?

In the meantime, I seek out the fattiest cuts I can find, and have grassfed bone marrow on the side with leaner cuts. That's all I can do for now!

Grassfed veal chop with sea salt






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts