Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Where Oh Where To Find Fatty Meat?

It is not easy to find fatty meat!

There has been such an anti-fat movement in the last 30 years. It makes it exceptionally hard to find good fatty cuts of red meat!

I buy my meats directly from farmers. For one, I like to have that connection to the actual person who is raising my food for me! That way too, I can communicate my needs for fatty cuts more easily.

Still, meat processors are using techniques from the last thirty years, which focus on trimming fat, not leaving it on the cuts. And unless consumer demand changes, they will keep operating that way.

However, eating high protein is just as unhealthy as eating high carbs. Our bodies really prefer 70% calories from fat (and real, whole fat, not highly processed oils). I also do not believe dairy fats are healthy either, because of the casein and opioids in them, or poultry or pork, because of their high omega 6:3 ratio.

The best that I can do so far, it seems, is to order whole lamb shares. Lamb is a naturally fatty meat, which needs no additional fats on the side.

The only other meats which are naturally fatty enough are beef tongue, and if you can find them with the fat cap on them, beef brisket, beef loin, and beef short ribs. When I say "fat cap", I mean they should have a good quarter inch of fat layer on them. It's pretty rare to find nowadays, but that's actually how much fat they naturally have.

I am getting pretty discouraged trying to find fatty cuts of red meat. Sometimes it seems like a conspiracy to keep the population fat, sick, and constantly taking pharmaceuticals!

Grassfed veal heart (with fat retained on it), beef marrow and sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts