Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Blood Lab Results

I wanted to share more about my lab results from the other day!

I have been strict carnivore for about three years now. I have done it off and on for about the last nine years, but the last three have been strict.

The last few weeks I have been trying a piscivore (seafood-based) carnivore diet, focused on wild-caught seafood and grass-finished beef bone marrow fat for extra fat. For quite a while now I have been eating no dairy at all, including no butter; no pork, no poultry, or eggs. The reason I avoid those foods are that dairy causes me gut issues along with skin problems and depression. Pork, poultry, and eggs are too high in omega 6 fatty acids and don't make me feel well and cause high triglycerides. (I think I may have developed an egg intolerance too, I seem to get diarrhea now when I eat eggs.)

Starting in October last year, I stopped using salt as well, since it was causing me to have diarrhea.

On Wednesday last week I had complete blood count, osteocalcin (bone turnover), and mercury level tests done.

For my complete blood count, everything was perfect, including my kidney heath parameters and iron levels, except that my LDL was very high. That is to be expected since I have genetically diagnosed FH (familial hypercholesterolemia), which causes abnormally high LDL. But my HDL was 76, which is great, and my triglycerides just 86, also great. VLDL was excellent at 17. Potassium, calcium, and sodium levels were all perfect, although I don't eat any salt or take any supplements or drink bone broth, so that's great!

White blood cell count, red blood count, etc., all was excellent. Postprandial glucose was just 89, which is pretty much what it is all the time, including fasting. I really like having that totally steady blood sugar level all the time! I think that is really good.

Osteocalcin, which measures bone turnover, was very good at 14, excellent for a perimenopausal woman.

But the blood mercury level was high. According to the reference range, under 15 is best, and mine was 37. I think it was because I had been eating swordfish steak all week preceding the test. I didn't realize it at the time, but swordfish is very, very high in mercury, at 1000% of what is considered safe levels! So I think that caused a temporary high level of blood mercury.

The good news is that it dissipates through urine and sweat over some months, especially with sauna use. So, maybe in 4 months or so I might try testing again to confirm that my blood mercury level is improved.

I have learned that mollusks, small crustaceans, salmon, and wild-caught tilapia and catfish are the best choices since they register safe levels of mercury. So I think I will continue to eat seafood, but focus on mollusks, small crustaceans, and salmon. And then mix it up with lamb from time to time. That should be a nice variety and a very healthy mix!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts