Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Spring Brings Variety; Zero Carb Cat; Mercury in Food

I had been considering moving up to the big city. I looked at condos yesterday, and I even found a 100% grassfed beef rancher up there. I checked out the local markets for some wild-caught seafood (very expensive!). In the end, I have decided against it. There's more crime, and I would have to take on debt, which I am very much against. In my small city, I was able to purchase my home in cash! So I have zero debt and that is important to me.

If I am staying here, that means I need to figure out what I will eat for spring! I have some 100% grassfed beef organ meats coming this week, and I have about 20 lbs of lamb left. I go through roughly 1 lb of meat and fish per day. I think the beef organs and my lamb supply, plus picking up some wild-caught seafood at my local market here and there, should get me through the upcoming season! Then the next whole lamb shares should be available.

My zero carb cat has adjusted to his new variety of Tiki food as well! He had been eating just the Tiki "After Dark" chicken with quail egg. But I wanted to increase his variety, so I added on other items in the "After Dark" series, as well as the "Luau" series which includes some seafood. At first he wouldn't touch it. But I learned that I just had to ease him into it a bit. I had to serve the new food with a little bit of his "usual" food. It just took a few days. Now he is fine with eating the new varieties on their own!

I'm looking forward to going seafood shopping this afternoon! After finding my blood mercury levels were double what is considered healthy after eating swordfish, I will now definitely just stick with low-mercury seafoods: small crustaceans, mollusks, and maybe small amounts of wild-caught salmon and catfish.
Edited to add: I just came across a publication which reminds me to avoid the delicious, wonderful, canned Icelandic cod liver that I had purchased, because of the mercury. Darn it!
https://www.env-health.org/IMG/pdf/5-_Mercury_and_Fish_Consumption.pdf

I found another publication which tested the mercury levels in milk, eggs, and beef, and pork:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1190840
That puts beef at .005ppm, which is similar to shrimp, clams, and scallops. Wow! Eggs and pork were even higher!



##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts