Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Lamb jerky; Introducing Variety for Zero Carb Cat

Since I found my blood mercury level was about twice what is considered healthy, I decided to take a little break from piscivore (seafood-based carnivore diet) and get back to my lamb. I still have some of the two whole lamb shares I had purchased to get me through the winter. I still have plenty of small roasts, some shanks, and a few packs of stew meat left.

Some of the roasts are rather lean, unfortunately, so I tried making a simple unsalted jerky with them. So great! Not as good as heart jerky, which is my favorite, but still very good! I need to get my Victorinox slicing knife sharpened again though. A sharp knife makes it much easier to cut nice paper thin slices which make fantastic jerky. Like crunchy lamb candy for me!

I have contacted one of my favorite grassfed and grass-finished beef ranchers to see about getting some beef organ meats. Hopefully I can pick those up this weekend! He is taking some animals this week for processing.

In other news, I received the Tiki brand variety packs for my zero carb cat! He had been eating and enjoying the chicken with quail egg, but I thought I would increase his variety. So I ordered him the After Dark series variety pack, which includes chicken with chicken organs and juices with tuna oil and some sides of lamb, pork, duck, and beef. I also picked him up the Luau series, which is fish and/or chicken and juices and sunflower or olive oil (not excited about that part). I am really pleased that these do not have any carbs!

I made the mistake of just opening an entirely different can of food from what he was expecting and feeding it to him yesterday. He turned right around and walked away after begging for food for an hour! So I had to try a different tack. I put a little of his usual food on the plate along with a little of the new food. That worked! I forgot that cats are very leery of change.

I am thinking about moving to the big city! I am looking at a condo up there this weekend. But now I am trying to see how I will continue to get 100% grassfed local meat! The farmers market there does not have any meat vendors (!!), and eatwild.com only shows one farm possibly delivering to the city. So I may have to order meat online, or ask if my favorite ranchers can ship to me if I move. There are a few grocery stores in that area, but I really prefer to get locally raised, 100% grassfed meat, which they likely won't carry. I would have thought there were would be more meat options in a bigger city, not fewer, so I am surprised! But I guess city folk are more likely to be vegetarian. And I am lucky to currently live in such a great place for cattle and sheep ranching!

I guess if need be, I can resume the piscivore diet too, now that I know which seafood is lower in mercury!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts