Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Figuring Out the Pescetarian Carnivore Diet!

I'm into my second week now of trying a pescetarian-based carnivore diet. The reason I am doing it is that I just feel so much better when I eat seafood. My digestion feels lighter and my mood too!

There are some things I am still figuring out. Packed lunches, for one. Yesterday I brought dried pollock from the Asian grocery store, packed along with some marrow fat on the side. That worked great, except that the pollock is so low in calories that I had to eat half the bag! And the bag was $13! So that is not economical at all. However, it is delicious, and I love it. And my digestion loves it. And it even doesn't have salt added! Maybe I could just bring a third of a bag, and plenty of marrow fat to fill up my calories? That seems like an option. I also like that it is not messy at all.

Another idea I had is to bring cooked a salmon fillet, packed on ice. Or shrimp with marrow fat. I could just eat those cold and that wouldn't create fish smell in the office.

I am also trying to figure out the most economical way to do this. Fatty fish is definitely the way to go, since they pack more calories per bite. Otherwise with lean fish, I need to eat a good amount of marrow fat on the side to get enough calories. The marrow fat is kind of expensive, around $2 per serving, which must be added to the cost of the protein.

The Asian grocery store has quite a few fatty fish in stock all the time, which are wild-caught: sanma (actually that one is unlabelled so it might be farmed), Greenland halibut, mackerel (although that has salt added so I don't like it as much), and scad. They also had pompano (at least I think that is what it was) but it was kind of expensive in terms of usable meat. And that was unlabeled as well. The local health food market only had salmon in terms of fatty fish.

For now I might use all of my existing freezer lamb for lunches. That will last me a month or two! So that gives me time to figure out what kind of fish to buy for packed lunches and where I want to shop for it. Although, I really love how well my digestion is doing on the seafood. So I am tempted to leave the lamb in the freezer and continue just with seafood.

I do enjoy some lean seafood as well, such as scallops, prawns, shrimp, clams, mussels, squid, and cuttlefish. But I need to eat marrow fat on the side of those, so that adds up cost-wise. Especially when compared to the last whole sheep share I bought, which ended up only being $3 per pound and provided me 90 lbs of meat.

One other thing I've noticed is I seem to have a little more tartar buildup on my teeth from eating the seafood. I guess that makes sense, because seafood has some carbs in it! I don't like that. But I still do love the light feeling of my digestion. I feel fantastic! My digestive system is very happy about this whole pescetarian experiment.

After eating red meat, I feel a little heavy and have some burping. But not so with the seafood. And maybe those few carbs in seafood are the reason my mood seems a little lighter lately too? At any rate, I think for now I'll continue with the seafood for the ease of digestion!

Another thing I have to figure out, is that I also may need to start packing my dinner as well as lunch, since my commute time will increase next year. So that's more to consider. Then also how to make sure my zero carb cat has food to eat during the day, since I'd be gone 12 hours! He has been doing so great on the Tiki "After Dark" wet food. But 12 hours is too long for him to go without eating. So I was thinking I could try putting some dried anchovies in his automatic feeder, or some freeze-dried chicken pieces? That might work!

##




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts