Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Piscivore Diet and Mercury

I have been on a piscivore (seafood-based) carnivore diet for two weeks now. A few days ago I got a baseline blood mercury test done. I received the results today!

While all of my other blood test parameters were excellent (besides high LDL, which is understandable since I have genetically diagnosed familial hypercholesterolemia), the mercury was more than twice what is considered a healthy level.

I wonder if it is because I had been eating a swordfish steak most of the week prior to the test? Swordfish is very, very high in mercury. 

I have since decided to eat mollusks and crustaceans and salmon instead. I read that it can take months for blood mercury levels to go down. It helps to do sauna treatments and drink a lot of fluids!

In the meantime I might also take a break from piscivore and go back to lamb for a while. I loved how my digestion felt on piscivore, but perhaps lamb is best for now!

I was happy to see that my kidney health and bone turnover levels were all excellent. Low blood glucose, low triglycerides, high HDL, everything tip-top. Just not good mercury level at the present!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts