Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Too Much Protein?

Zero Carb Keto

Too Much Protein?

When switching to a plastic-free lifestyle back in February, I went to canned grassfed beef which is leaner than I had been eating. It made my fat to protein ratio 50% to 50% rather than 75% to 25% where it had been. I felt just fine, although I noticed my glucose averaged 90mg/dl rather than 80mg/dl which it had been.

Then in the last week or so, I noticed I started having some foot cramps in the night, and my urine smelled really strong. My theories were either it was from starting a new salt, pink Himalayan salt instead of sea salt, or from eating the higher protein amount.

So the last few days I have been adding in more fat. I am now at 62% fat to 38% protein, and I have switched to different salts too. My digestion is taking some time to get used to the higher fat, but the foot cramps and strong urine smell have vanished! Which is great! But now I don't know which thing helped, adding more fat, or changing salt. I guess it doesn't matter, I will continue to do both.

I also decided to come down a bit on my plastic-free mission because I really crave fresh meat. So today I will get some great local meats and eggs from a farm I have visited personally and seen the hogs, hens, and cattle myself. I also requested a beef tongue and oxtail, so hopefully they have those too! I am looking forward to wonderful fatty cuts again!

In the meantime, I have been eating eggs, which are naturally 62/38 fat/protein. I have also been using a little coconut oil added to my canned beef too. And I put in an order for some whole lambs for next month! I think I can recycle the plastic vacuum seal bags in which all the fresh meat comes. 

I also decided to go back to a few toiletries that come in recyclable plastic containers. It's not ideal, since those plastics are downcycled, rather than actually recycled. So it still calls for new plastics to be created. But, my hair seems to be a bit shinier and more manageable with shampoo rather than washing soda. It is an Alverde product, which is a German brand specializing in natural essential oils and organic ingredients, so they are high quality products. I am also going back to using their foot balm too. And I am back to using some Zuzu eyeliner. 

I am still using coconut oil for deodorant and body, hand, and face moisturizer because it works better than commercial toiletries. And I use baking soda for tooth powder too, which I have used for over a decade, because it is better than anything else! So I am still trying to avoid plastics as much as I can.

Hopefully tomorrow morning I will start posting pics of my meat again!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts