Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Vitamin C

Zero Carb Keto

Vitamin C

I mentioned that the other weekend I had blood nutrient testing done at a friend's request. Everything was good, except my blood vitamin C level was zero! 

Now, it could be that is perfectly fine when on zero carb. I have not had any of the symptoms of malaise, lethargy, nausea, bleeding gums, bruises, or muscle pain, or anemia. I just had a dental exam and cleaning recently, in fact, and no problems at all, no gum bleeding during the cleaning either. I did have some dry skin on my hands and keratosis pilaris on my thighs, but that resolved when I started using coconut oil for moisturizer.

Since going plastic free, I have been eating mostly canned grassfed beef, which actually lists vitamin C content on the label. I also was having fresh fish or shellfish about once a week (asking them to put it in my compostable BioBags). So, really, I should have been getting enough vitamin C, especially since I have no glucose intake to interfere with it.

But, I am going to try and make sure to eat freshly cooked liver once a day, or fresh shellfish now and then. I was thinking I would retest my blood vitamin C levels in a month to see if it improved!

I also decided to buy some vitamin C testing strips so I can see if my foods actually contain any vitamin C. That should help me choose the most antiscorbutic (anti-scurvy) foods. 

The testing strips are plastic, so that is unfortunate, but hopefully I will not need to use too many of them, and that should allow me to use much less or zero plastic over time when buying meat and fish!

In other news, I have decided to go plastic free for all my clothes and linens as well. I ordered some 100% silk Vietnamese ao dai (here is an example: https://www.hienthaoshop.com/product/vietnam-online-store-white-and-black-satin-ao-dai-custom-made/ ). One of them is already done and shipping out today from Vietnam! Of course, that involves the use of petroleum to ship it here, and it will likely be wrapped in some kind of plastic, I am sure. But at least I will not have plastic against my skin anymore, or pollute nanoplastic microfibers into the water cycle when I wash my clothes.

I wanted to mention that the Lakota people will be celebrating the grand opening of their buffalo processing facility on Saturday, July 7! I would really like to go. There seems to be so much to do in the area so I urge you to consider it for a nice vacation!





Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts