Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: High Fat Wins Over High Protein?

Zero Carb Keto

High Fat Wins Over High Protein?

I have been thinking quite a bit about what is healthier but also more satisfying and easy overall: higher fat intake or higher protein?

Higher fat intake has made my average glucose levels all throughout the day much lower. For example yesterday my postprandial blood glucose was just 78mg/dl (4.3mmol/l). That is great! Whereas on a high protein intake, it averaged over 10 points higher. So that seems to me that higher fat is healthier.

But eating higher fat foods means that the portion size must be much smaller. I do not feel like I am "feasting" like I do on higher protein. 

There is a slight difference in hunger. On higher protein, I actually do get hungry. Not "hangry" like I used to do on carbs, but still I actually notice hunger. 

On high fat intake, I do not actually feel hungry, I just feel a kind of ghost of a hunger, which is easy to ignore. In fact, it is easy to think of that feeling as a positive feeling, that one's belly is not overfull, like the Japanese concept of "hara hachi bu", eating to just 80% full.

To get a higher fat intake, I have had to include pork, which I try to avoid because of the higher omega 6 fatty acids. I also have grassfed lamb shares on order, but it will be a month. I am trying to find as much fatty beef as possible, but my local farmers' grassfed beef tends to be pretty lean. I get their oxtail and tongue, but those are in short supply, and otherwise most of their cuts are too lean to maintain a high fat intake. I could order grassfed marrow bones online. That way I can supplement with extra fat and not eat pork. Plus, marrow fat is much higher in vitamin A and other important nutrients than pork fat. But I prefer to buy from my local farmers as much as possible. So maybe I will see what other beef and lamb I can get.

I just wanted to mention a funny thing. Since I tried my plastic-free mission in February, I started using coconut oil as a deodorant and body, hand, and face moisturizer. But now the cat likes licking my legs! Apparently he enjoys the flavor of the coconut oil. That strikes me as much healthier than if he was licking commercial moisturizer off my legs!

Local pastured pork meatballs

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts