Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: High Fat or High Protein?

Zero Carb Keto

High Fat or High Protein?

I have been eating higher fat to protein ratio lately, and I have inadvertently gained a few pounds! I forgot that portion sizes must be considerably smaller when eating higher fat, since fat is so much denser in calories and nutrition. 

There are benefits and drawbacks to higher fat to protein intake. One of the benefits of higher fat to protein is that it is healthier. My blood glucose has dropped by roughly ten points, from averaging throughout the day on high protein at 90mg/dl (5 mmol/l) down to just 80mg/dl (4.44 mmol/l). Although, 90mg/dl average through the whole day is still just fine! My blood pressure has gone even lower as well, even though it was still very low on high protein.

Another benefit is a more satiated feeling, and less hunger. 

However there are drawbacks. For one, it is harder to find healthy fattier cuts. I have been using pork and poultry, which I would rather avoid since they are high in omega 6 fatty acids which are not healthy. Some people use dairy too, which I avoid since it does not agree with my gut and seems to throw off my electrolytes sometimes too.

Healthy fatty red meats are much harder to find. 100% grassfed lamb and mutton are healthy, and one can sometimes find 100% grassfed beef cuts that are fatty, such as tongue, oxtail, sweetbreads, brisket with fat cap, or fatty short ribs. 

There are just a few fish that are high fat, such as sable fish (also known as black cod) and Atlantic mackerel. These would be healthy, and low in omega 6 fatty acids, as long as they are wild caught.

Another drawback of the higher fat to protein is that portion size must be very small, since it is much higher calorie. In a way, this is good, because it is more economical! But one just has to be careful or it is really easy to eat too much.

I will be receiving some lamb shares next month, but then I will have to wait till fall for any more. I doubt that I could manage to make them last till fall since I go through roughly one per month. So I will have to decide if I want to continue with higher fat but resorting to pork and poultry, or to go back to beef (which I prefer) but higher protein instead!

Slow cooked local chicken gizzards


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts