Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Plastic-Free Meat Options and Other Items

Zero Carb Keto

Plastic-Free Meat Options and Other Items

Since starting a plastic-free, zero waste mission in February, I have mostly been eating canned, 100% grassfed beef from a neighboring state. I make beef rillettes with it, and it is super easy and delicious!

Here and there I stop at the local health food market and pick up fresh fish at the counter, asking them to put it in compostable BioBags which I bring with me. However, some staff will refuse to do it, wary of contamination concerns. So that is not the easiest option!

If I was a hunter, a local processor said he would be willing to work with me to package my meat in non-plastic lined paper. But I am not a hunter (yet!).

So I have been continuing to look for more plastic-free meat options. I have found a few canned options, but they do have other ingredients besides just meat and salt.

I found some corned mutton, but it also contains sodium nitrate (which is a naturally occurring salt, also known as Chile saltpeter or caliche). There have been some studies showing that it could be carcinogenic. But I do not know if that is only in terms of a diet that includes sugar. I really love corned beef, and so I decided to take a chance and order six cans of the corned mutton. It comes from New Zealand mutton which is usually 100% grassfed. It should arrive tomorrow!

I also found some Russian tushenka, which is a canned lamb containing salt, pepper, and bay leaf. I decided to take a chance on that as well, hoping that the pepper and bay leaf will not bother my gut too much. If I only have it every few days, it should be OK, hopefully. I ordered six cans of that as well. It is the same price as the grassfed beef per pound, however I do not know if this is 100% grassfed or not.

There are many options for canned fish. I have tried quite a few, but I seem to have gut issues with most of them. The ones that are packed in oil usually cause me problems. But even ones packed in water, too. I think maybe they are just too lean. Another problem is that I get foot cramps in the night when I eat meat that is too lean. I actually got some last night and I ate nothing but the canned grassfed beef yesterday. So I probably need to make sure to get some extra fat! When I was also having eggs, that helped. So I could do that. Or maybe these canned lamb options might be fattier too! Lamb is typically fattier than beef.

In other plastic-free news, I received my new real horn eyeglasses and they are beautiful and amazing. Horn is an incredible material! I love the horn comb that I have been using. It is much healthier for my hair, it doesn't cause split ends like the plastic comb did.

I have ordered a 100% natural fiber bra made of linen and cotton with no elastic. I am enjoying my new real gut strings on my classical guitar. And my first of two 100% silk Vietnamese ao dai outfits is set to arrive tomorrow!

I also ordered a beautiful handmade natural material broom, dust brush and dust pan made by local maker. Those should arrive tomorrow! I am commissioning a friend to make me some 100% natural fiber potholders. And I will soon be ordering a 100% hide rug to replace a worn out acrylic fiber rug for my entryway!

It is so nice to have these beautiful items. They are really a joy to behold and touch, and it is so nice to know that they were made by someone who takes pride in their work!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts