Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: No Homesteading, Carnivore Diet Update

Zero Carb Keto

No Homesteading, Carnivore Diet Update

I really want to be self-sufficient. I want to have a zero waste home where I raise and process my own food and essentials and have no utility bills. I have done a lot of research, and I feel like I know what I need. I need a small house, with solar cells tied to radiant floor heating (or to live somewhere warm enough where no heating is required), a well or a rainwater catchment system, composting toilet, and enough pasturage for some sheep, or at the very least, for some foraging ducks or geese. 

I have been looking for a property where I can do that, but it is always just out of reach of what I can afford in cash. I will not take on any debt. I have been debt-free for many years now, and that is very important to me and my feeling of freedom.

I looked at some houses yesterday in another town, in the hopes of creating my urban homestead. Unfortunately, they were not suitable. I just do not have enough funds to do this in cash, or at least not by myself. Maybe with a small group of like-minded people it would be possible. So for now, it looks like homesteading will continue to be just a dream.

I was also thinking about how much veganism and a "plant-based" lifestyle is becoming so trendy. It is everywhere I look, magazines, articles, and all of my friends talk about it and are trying it. I really feel like eating meat is considered gauche now! And the sad part is that eating meat is the only way we can really save the environment and feed all of the people, and also have good health for everyone. But everyone else seems to think the opposite. Oh well. I had been vegan for seven years, twenty years. Been there, done that! 

I had a wonderful zero carb dinner yesterday of grilled scallops and steamed lobster tail! So delicious! I asked them to use my compostable BioBags at the fish counter. Otherwise I have been eating the canned grassfed beef from a neighboring state. I found some canned lamb/mutton available online, but it contains some pepper and bay leaf. I am not sure how that would affect my gut. I might try it, just for variety! But I am sure it is not grassfed, so I have been reluctant to try it.

I am eating about 25 oz of canned grassfed beef per day now. That comes to around 1160 calories, which for my height and weight, is about 17% calorie restriction from baseline. I am actually eating more protein than fat now! 55% protein to 45% fat by calorie. But I am pretty sure that I am still in ketosis, because random glucose testing still shows about 80mg/dl glucose any time of day or night. I ran out of ketone strips and they are made of plastic so I have not purchased any more. My total spending comes to around $13.50 per day or about $420 a month on food. I do not think that is too bad, considering it is 100% grassfed, fairly local, and in completely recyclable packaging!




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts