Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Plastic-Free Meat; Non-electric Entertainment

Zero Carb Keto

Plastic-Free Meat; Non-electric Entertainment

Since adopting my plastic-free, zero-waste mission, I have really been enjoying a healthier lifestyle. I feel so great! 

I am using such simple toiletries now but feel and look so much better! I am washing my hair with washing soda. I decided to try following up with a diluted white vinegar rinse, and that provided some extra softness and shine! I have been using a locally made bar soap instead of body wash or liquid hand soap. I am now using Artisana coconut oil which comes in a glass jar with a metal lid and a paper seal, for moisturizer and hand and face lotion. I have been using baking soda to brush my teeth for decades, it works great. I use a natural horn comb for my hair. I stopped using hair dye (even stopped using bulk henna and indigo), and also stopped using any makeup whatsoever.

I purchased all natural fiber linens and I sleep so much better now too! I found a wonderful undyed linen coverlet for warm weather, and a gorgeous Scottish made Merino wool coverlet for cold weather. I am now using a 100% natural fiber wardrobe as well. I am looking forward to my new horn eyeglasses to arrive tomorrow, and two Vietnamese silk ao dai outfits to arrive soon. It feels so great to have natural fibers instead of plastic against my skin!

I replaced carpets with sustainably harvested maple and cork flooring. I clean the house with just diluted vinegar and Bon Ami. Again, it feels great to be free of chemicals! I also stopped taking any pharmaceuticals or supplements.

The trickiest part was finding plastic-free meat to continue the meat-only diet. I was able to find 100% grassfed beef raised in a neighboring state that comes in totally recyclable steel cans and is shipped in just a recyclable cardboard box. It is delicious and affordable! I have been making beef rillettes with it. Really, really delicious! Then for variety I get occasional fish from the meat/fish counter at the local grocery, and ask them to put it in my provided compostable BioBags (I have a stainless steel compost bin outside). Some counter staff won't do it. But some will! I get eggs (in paper cartons) occasionally too. I decided to take a chance and ordered some canned corned mutton. I know that nitrates are bad for health, and it contains meat, salt, and sodium nitrate. But I thought for occasional variety it might be OK. Back when I would eat carbs, I used to love reuben sandwiches. I figure this is a zero-carb way to try and enjoy that flavor! Plus, the mutton is from New Zealand, which means it is likely 100% grassfed. So I can report on how it tastes when it arrives!

Also, I have been trying to replace plastics in other ways in my life too! I am phasing out using electronic media at home as much as possible. There are so many more hours in the day that way when you have to entertain yourself! I have retaken up music again. I purchased real gut strings for my classical guitar, and that has been wonderful. I have also been seeking out instruments that do not contain plastics. I have been enjoying playing kalimbas, a shruti, a pearwood recorder, and a Native American flute. I am still looking for more too! I found an interesting steel tongue drum which I am considering for morning playing to not disturb my neighbors. I am just confirming if they can ship without plastic!

I have also been enjoying studying Arabic script. I want to find a nice pen that is not made of plastic to use for it! I find it a very challenging script to learn, but beautiful to the eye.

I love to read, but for some reason I get sleepy when I read! So I need to find more active hobbies! Music is great for that and I feel it comes naturally to me and provides a lot of pleasure. I also enjoy walking in nature, although nature can be hard to find sometimes. I really enjoy being physical. I need to seek out more ways to be physical. I used to do daily ballet barre exercise, and before that, free weight lifting. And before that, bodyweight exercise, Pilates, running, and archery. I love to learn new physical hobbies. I'll keep an eye out for what I want to try next!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts