Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Lamb and Mutton; High Fat vs High Protein

Zero Carb Keto

Lamb and Mutton; High Fat vs High Protein

The last week or so I had noticed my urine was rather strong smelling, and I could not pinpoint it. I thought maybe it was because I had been eating higher protein. Or it was the Himalayan salt I had been using. But another possibility is the canned mutton I have been eating! It is delicious and higher fat than the canned beef I had previously, but it is a stronger flavor. And that would tie in to the same time that I had the stronger smelling urine. I checked in my journal and noticed other times I had a lot of lamb, my urine was strong smelling then. So that would make sense! Lamb and mutton have stronger flavor than beef.

Recently I tried corned mutton, which has sodium nitrate added. It makes it a pink color, like corned beef. It was OK. I liked that it had a higher fat content than the canned grassfed beef, but I have read that sodium nitrate can be carcinogenic. It is a naturally occurring salt found in Chile, also known as Chile saltpeter. But since it is possibly carcinogenic, I don't think it is something I would want to have too often.

I also tried Tushonka canned lamb. I was worried because it has black pepper and bay leaf, that it might bother my gut. It was really delicious and I enjoyed the higher fat. It did not seem to bother my gut, so once in a while it is probably just fine to eat! The flavor was great.

I have ordered some lamb shares which should be processed next month. Till then, I have decided to bring pork back into my diet for now, for the higher fat. So I am eating beef, lamb/mutton, pork, and eggs now. 

I am not sure how I feel about the higher fat intake. With the canned grassfed beef, I was eating just 50% fat and 50% protein. It was nice because I was able to eat larger portions. Now with 65-70% fat and jut 35-30% protein, my portions must be quite small or I accidentally take in too many calories. I seem to be possibly gaining a little weight already. So I need to be more careful of portion size with higher fat meats.

But there is a benefit of higher fat: lower blood glucose. It has gone from averaging 90mg/dl with a higher protein diet (which is still really good!) to instead 80mg/dl. But that is something to consider. Both higher protein and higher fat allow me to have very low blood pressure, so that is good. Higher protein allows me to concentrate on red meat, and forego pork and eggs which are higher in omega 6 fats and not as healthy. So that is a good reason to go with the higher protein! On the note of omega 6 fats, this is an excellent conversation on YouTube regarding the dangers of seed oils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOhuojYUQY

I will continue to take note of the various pros and cons of high protein versus high fat and report back!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts