Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Vitamin C Testing Strips; More on Plastic-Free Living

Zero Carb Keto

Vitamin C Testing Strips, More on Plastic-Free Living

Since finding my blood test showed zero vitamin C level, although I showed no symptoms, I thought I should try to take in more vitamin C. (All of my other nutrient levels were good!).

I received some vitamin C testing strips in the mail yesterday. Although they are plastic, in a plastic bottle, which was in a plastic bag (sigh!!), my hope is that by using them I can narrow down which zero carb foods that are not in plastic and are highest in vitamin C. And therefore in the end, eliminate or drastically reduce my use of plastics for my food.

I tested my canned beef and the turkey liver I have been eating lately. The canned beef showed some vitamin C, even after reheating. But the turkey liver had much, much more! So that is good to know. Unfortunately, the liver comes in plastic deli tubs, which are "recyclable" although that really means downcycled. I cannot find liver available in cans. I can find pate', but it contains spices and onion which will bother my gut.

Plastics are really not "recycled", apparently. They can be "downcycled" into other types of products, and only so many times down the line. It is also a fairly energy wasteful process. So ideally we should not be using plastics, even "recyclable" ones.

Steel and aluminum cans however are truly recycled, and can be recycled over and over again and actually save resources. Here's an interesting link:
"When aluminum is recycled, 95% less energy is consumed, while recycled iron and steel use 74% less energy and copper uses 85% less energy. In addition to the energy savings, purchasing and using recycled metal also saves valuable natural resources that would otherwise be removed from the environment."

In their recent survey, I suggested to the farm from which I buy my canned beef for them to add canned liver if possible too. I might call and follow up! That would be great if they could do that. I really enjoy their beef! It is affordable and easy and very delicious!

I also wanted to mention that although I am eating a higher protein, lower fat ratio now, more like 50% / 50% fat / protein by calories, my blood glucose levels are still good and low. I do not test regularly much anymore, since the lancets and strips are plastic, but I tested postprandial glucose yesterday after dinner, and it was just 89mg/dl, which is great! My blood pressure continues to be very low as well. So increasing my protein has not seem to have any bad effects.

In other news, I have been using washing soda for my hair instead of shampoo in a plastic bottle, and it works well. But I think this weekend I will try another round of hibiscus and fenugreek powder. I had tried previously, and it is terribly messy, but it seems to help make my hair soft and shiny and smell fantastic! I really like that the washing soda has no smell. Now when I smell commercial shampoos, I am really put off by the scent!

Also, I am trying to phase in an all natural fiber wardrobe. Not only to prevent microplastic fibers ending up in the water cycle, but also to avoid having plastic constantly in contact with my skin. Speaking of which, I want to find real horn-rimmed glasses, instead of plastic frames! Looks like they are available: https://pennavenueeyewear.com/buffalo-horn!

I already have some items which are 100% natural fibers, mostly silk and wool. This week I have ordered two 100% silk Vietnamese ao dai (tunic and pant outfits) and one shipped out yesterday from Hanoi! They are custom made to a long list of measurements, so I hope that they fit well and look nice!

I have already switched to 100% natural fibers for my linens. In the warmer months, I use cotton sheets and a linen coverlet. In the colder months, I add in a lovely Scottish 100% merino wool coverlet. I sleep so much better now! I used to get so hot with plastic fiber blankets!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts