Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Returning to Plastic-Free Living and Higher Protein

Zero Carb Keto

Returning to Plastic-Free Living and Higher Protein

Back in February I decided to go on a plastic-free and zero-waste mission. I changed out my toiletries and household items. I replaced my clothing and linens with 100% natural fiber items, which has been wonderful. I feel like my skin breathes so much better now!

I found one brand of coconut oil, Artisana, that comes in a glass jar with metal lid and a paper seal, no plastic and fully recyclable! I have already been using it as a moisturizer, body and face lotion, foot balm, and deodorant. It is working better than anything else I have ever used for those needs!

I have really been happy with The Keeper, a 100% natural rubber menstrual cup instead of disposable products. I use baking soda instead of toothpaste (I have been using that for over a decade now!). Diluted washing soda makes a great shampoo, and detergent for hand wash clothing. Local handmade bar soap works great instead of body wash or liquid hand soap. I found paper towels and toilet tissue that are wrapped in paper rather than plastic too!

I replaced my carpets with sustainably harvested maple and cork flooring, and even purchased locally handcrafted corn brooms and steel dustpan with which to clean them.

The only problem was finding meat that was not in plastic! I finally found a farmer in a neighboring state that produces canned grassfed beef and that worked well for me. However, it is rather lean, which I thought might be a problem. (I also thought maybe it didn't have vitamin C, although after testing I confirmed that it does). About two weeks ago I decided to go back to buying local meats in plastic.

But this is just producing too much waste. I can't stand it! So I am returning to the canned beef. It was delicious and worked well for me. The steel cans are easily recycled, and truly recycled, over and over again. That is unlike plastic, which is only marginally downcycled (not recycled) and even then, usually has newly created plastic added in the process.

Also, I have been having some pretty bad digestive problems lately. I think it has to do with eating higher fat and eggs. So maybe going back to the leaner canned meat might be just what I need! Back to more like a 50% fat, 50% protein diet instead of higher fat intake (roughly 65% / 35%) I have been doing lately. 

I have a few days left of the fresh local meats in plastic, then I will return to the canned grassfed beef. I may return to it even sooner if I keep having digestive problems!

I had also purchased some canned corned mutton, but it made my urine very strong smelling. So weird! Plus the sodium nitrate used to corn meats has possible carcinogenic properties.

Also, I purchased some canned tushonka lamb (a Russian recipe), but it has black pepper and bay leaf added, which seemed to affect my digestion a bit. I will use that and the corned mutton only for variety here and there, I think. I could also pick up some canned fish from time to time, in water only.

I am considering picking up some more potassium salt. It seems to help when I eat a higher protein diet. I am researching to see if any are out there that don't have plastic in their container.

The one plastic item I have not been able to replace yet are my eyeglasses. I had ordered some real horn glasses, but the prescription did not work correctly for me. I am trying to find another replacement, maybe in metal or wood!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts