Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Nose to Tail

Yesterday I re-read one of the books that I like to recommend, "Odd Bits" by Jennifer McLagan. (By the way, I also recommend her book "Fat". She has another book called "Bones," but I have not been able to find it yet! I just suggested to my public library that they purchase it!)

In "Odd Bits," she explains the history and uses of various organ meats and offal. It is interesting to find out how "humble pie" got its name, for instance!

She also gives some recipes, but they have added plant matter so I have not tried any of them.

I grew up eating organ meats and offal, and I really enjoy it. I love the variety of tastes and textures that they provide over muscle meat!

So I already have had a lot of experience with and greatly enjoy marrow bones, tongue, heart, liver, tail, sweetbreads, chicken gizzards, pigs' feet, testes, and lamb kidney. I have had tripe too, and enjoy it very much, but I get headaches from it (there is quite a bit of calcium in it, and I get headaches from high calcium foods).

The author also devotes some mention to blood, and I do enjoy that as well. I have made a simple boudin noir with just blood, salt, and fat, and it was great! It was funny though, it looked like chocolate cake or brownies!

Some new cuts that I have not tried and would like to are beef tendon and neck. She wrote that neck can be very fatty, which is exactly what I want! She does not write about tendons, but I have read about them in blog articles and I am keen to try them for their collagen content. Here is one interesting article about tendons:
http://www.chefs-resources.com/types-of-meat/offal-varieties/beef-tendons/

I have asked my local farmer if they can get beef tendon for me. Maybe I will ask for neck too! And definitely with my next whole lamb purchase!

Grassfed beef short ribs with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts