Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Not Quite Zero, Revisited

I wanted to revisit the idea of "not quite zero" zero carb keto!

I think that having a few grams of carbs every day actually is important for health. I feel much better when I have 1-2g per day, more energetic and positive. But not from starchy foods or plant matter! I mean the natural carbs from animal products, such as eggs, mollusks/shellfish, and organ meats. I get my few per day from eggs and from organ meats such as heart and liver.

And if those are not eaten, then having some extra protein seems to work too, since the protein can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. Although Dr Ron Rosedale and some others say to only eat 1g protein per kg lean body mass, that is far too low for me. I feel like a ghost then! But I think they mean that in the context of getting other carbs from plant matter. 

I average more like double that protein intake: 2g protein per kg lean body mass. That makes me feel a lot more like myself! With good energy levels.

I was thinking of maybe trying to eat some more mollusks and shellfish. They are expensive, so maybe just once in a while. But the astaxanthin in red-colored shellfish is good, plus the trace carbs and other nutrients that are different than in red meats. However, they are not local. I try to eat locally raised foods all the time, and usually buy my meats from local farmers directly. I do not even go to the grocery store. Then there is the problem with mercury in seafood as well! 

So, maybe I will just stick to some good grassfed organ meats and eggs instead!

Grassfed lamb chops with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts