Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Preparing for Winter; Avoiding Carcinogens

I put together some orders with my local farmers to prepare for winter. I ordered some good fatty cuts: beef briskets, oxtail, tongue, fatty lamb chunks, and a half share of lamb from another local grassfed farmer. (I could not get a full share, unfortunately!).

That should hopefully last me to the end of the year, along with what I have remaining in the freezer!

The briskets tend to be very large. So I thaw them out a bit, just enough to be able to cut them into smaller chunks, then re-freeze them!

In other news, I had mentioned a few days ago that I read that cooking meat at temperatures higher than 300F (148C) can create carcinogens. Mostly I have been cooking my meats in the slow cooker on the low setting which is around 200F. But lamb chops I have been cooking in the toaster oven at 400F. So I thought I might try cooking them in the slow cooker as well! And they turned out great!

So now the only thing I will use the toaster oven for is reheating.

Some other carcinogen prevention tips that I had read about in "Keto for Cancer" and "The Metabolic Approach to Cancer" were to change out plastic containers for leftovers to glass, so I have done that.

They recommend to change out any toiletries to remove chemical compounds. I have done that as well. I also try to specifically avoid toiletries containing phenols, butyls, and benzyls. Mostly I am using locally made soaps and moisturizers, although some contain exotic oils.

In that regard, I read about trying to use only oils that can easily be squeezed out of the plant with fingers, so not seed or soybean oils. Basically just olive oil, I guess? And lard and tallow. These would be very natural oils that are not chemically derived. One of my local farmers makes soap that is just lard, lye, olive oil and water. I use just plain baking soda for toothbrushing. It works great!

Also the books recommend avoiding dyeing the hair with chemicals. I currently use pure henna and indigo. I also use chemical free makeup, when I wear any. I usually do not wear much, except for a little eyeliner and lip gloss sometimes.

Some of it is a bit hard to do, like avoiding clothing dyed with certain chemicals (how would you know what dye they used?). And avoiding dry cleaning, which is hard to do when wearing business clothes. I just try to have it done as rarely as possible.

I try to wear natural fiber clothing as much as possible, as well as use natural fiber linens and coverlets. I feel that this is not only important for what touches your skin, but also for quality sleep and letting your skin breathe properly.

I try to use less chemicals when cleaning house. Just water with a little white vinegar for wiping down surfaces such as glass; microfiber dusting cloths; water for wiping down the hardwood floors. In the past, I used Bon Ami for cleaning toilets, sinks, and the bathtub/shower, but I have not been able to find it. So unfortunately, I do not have chemical-free alternative there. I tried baking soda but I am not sure it worked that well. I could try some more though!

I use perfume and dye-free clothes detergent and dish liquid. I have tried using soapnuts in the past, but they did not work that well. Plus, they come from the other side of the globe! I always try to use locally raised food and products as much as possible, not only to support my friends in the community, but also to reduce fossil fuel use in transport.

Then there is daily exercise, of course, and avoiding inflammatory foods. And not holding cell phones up to one's head. And avoiding too much time on the computer. I do these, although avoiding computers is hard when you work at one eight hours a day!

We can just do as much as we can!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts